Tuesday 9 February 2010

Tuesday in a wet Karhmandu!

Last Sunday was a day of interest. At 11am we had our first Nepali lesson from a wonderful woman called Ram Devi. I enjoyed it very much for I do like to try and speak the language. For me it was fascinating.
Monday was the day of reckoning as far as our reason d'etre was as we made our way to the orphanage for the first time to come face to face with the children. What can I say! The wee ones are quite lovely in physical appearance, and they were so delighted to see us. We spent an hour on a very small veranda trying to get them to do their ABCs some were only too keen to learn, most of the smaller ones were as normal only to happy to touch us try to take off my glasses, but the most interesting thing for them were my hairy arms! All had to touch. As I have said they are beautiful looking children, I adore their big brown eyes, and what is surprising they all have super looking healthy teeth. Lunch is always between 1 and 2pm, then back for another session with the elder kids, the wee ones have a compulsory sleep for an hour and a half. It looked quite amazing to see those wee ones all sleeping in two rows completely covered by blankets, you could not see any part of them. That changes at 3.30pm when all hell is let loose as they awake and want to play until we leave at 4pm.
Sunday was here the most propitious time of the whole year to get married, and I was awakened on Sunday morning by the beat of many drums. I t was most exciting. I saw a wedding on Sunday afternoon and it was most colourful.
Last evening at dinner we were entertained by a troupe of Nepali dancers, who performed unusual local Nepali dances.Their costumes were beautiful.
I awoke today, Tuesday to rain.Quite good actually for it dampened down the dust that causes so much of the atmospheric pollution in this city. It is indeed a serious problem. It has rained all day and the grass of the lawn beneath my bedroom window has suddenly blossomed green.
The Gurkha welfare trust have phoned me at the hotel.They will pick me up on Friday morning for my visit to the headquarters. I look forward to it.
All of us hope to go to Pokhara for at least 2 days towards the end of our adventure and we also hope to do the one hour flight up to the peak of Everest!
So far then.
The traffic here is the most incredible and scary that I have ever encountered in my life but I have to admit I actually enjoy the twice daily trip with Dave our Nepalese driver. It is beyond doubt that 99.9% of the drivers here in cars, bikes or most often on motor bikes would be fined and most probably banned from driving if they were in the UK, but I have to say on their behalf they really are the most amazing drivers, how they avoid crashes is quite beyond my comprehension.
That is all for now on a rainy evening in what is supposed to be the dry season.
Namaste from Kathmandu.
Next blog at the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dad
    I'm glad all is well - you seem to be having an amazing time. It is quite the culture shock - isn't it! The children sound lovely - I am sure that they will very much enjoy you spending time with them. As far as the roads & driving goes I know exactly what you mean - I was terrified in India! Lots of love Jane xx

    ReplyDelete