Thursday 25 February 2010

Almost at the end

Today is Thursday, and tomorrow is the last day I shall be at the orphanage, for on Saturday morning I fly off with the other members of the group to Pokhara for a 2 night stay, returning here to the Malla hotel next monday afternoon, to get packed up for the journey back home next Wednesday.
It has been quite an experience for me attempting to entertain little children for most of the day. Had it not been for Margaret one of our team, I doubt i would have survived, for she gave a structure to each morning and I have to say the kids really enjoyed. I became therefore a willing exponent of her ideas and lessons. They were very good.My part each morning was to give the children 5 minutes of PT, which they did enjoy for they do not get any regular exercise, then march them in in Indian file fashion into the big long room that we use as the classroom.After Margaret got them to sing hallo to each of us and the Nepali staff, the children were divided into groups. I was lucky for I got yhe four best and able children, it was a pleasure to help them with their English and its comprehension. They in turn helped me with the basic phrases and words of Nepali which I have found very useful in the hotel and shops. However by 1pm I have to admit feeling a bit tired. It is not easy keeping up with boisterous weans every day, you will all know what I mean and will problably laugh at the thought of me out here.
My big regret is not having had the chance to bond and talk with the school going boys, apart from last Friday when we all had a great day, I never see them, for as we leave at 4pm each day, they have not arrived back from school. Today I went to their school. It was one of the best mornings I have had.The school would stand well against any in the UK, the buildings are good, the classrooms look large and the pupils happy.All in all I was most impressed. I met the headmistress, the Guruamma, a quite lovely looking woman dressed in a pink sari. She was most elegant and an excellent communicator in English. All lessons are in English.Whilst we were there, the lunch bell rang out, and to my personal delight and surprise many of the orphanage boys came running across the playground to greet me, and what is more surprising I remembered their names.In front of the Guruamma, it was clear that they were pleased to see me. It raised their value of themselves I think, especially as they met someone they knew in front of the boss.Personally I loved it. All the pupils are smartly dressed in their uniforms and appear to be having a really excellent education. It certainly gives me hope that Nepal will come right, no matter the political problems which beset the country at the moment, and they are considerable.
Yesterday I phoned the GWT and they are getting in touch with the Gurkha depot in Pokhara to remind them of my visit this coming Sunday. I believe that the Gurkha museum there is well worth a visit. I shall report same in the next blog.
Tomorrow evening we are to be given a farewell dinner by Socialtours, the company who arranged the logistics of our time in Kathmandu.
So until Monday next this is the penultimate blog. I seems to me that all I have written is not of much interest to the so called followers for I have noticed very few comments about my blethers, perhaps it is because it is to most of you a load of blether.
No matter, I have enjoyed writing my story.
Pheri Namaste from what seems to be a permanently sunny Kathmandu.,

3 comments:

  1. Hello Dad,
    On the contrary, your blogs have made fascinating reading, we all could have done with more of them. Next time though, you will have to learn how to include pictures within the narrative.
    Its still cold and snowy in the UK although the forecast for my trip to Twickenham on Saturday looks like a fine day. Big game on Friday night, Wales v The Frogs.
    Glad to hear the kids have kept you busy if not quiet! Look forward to the Pokhara update.
    Don't forget to ring me when you get to Heathrow.
    Lots of love,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dad
    another really interesting post - I'm sure that all the family have been very much enjoying reading your blog.
    I bet the children will miss you all and that it will be quite an emotional day for you tomorrow.I'll be thinking of you. Have a great weekend and hope that you have a good visit to the Gurkha Museum and HQ . Do keep posting ! We are loving your blog and really appreciating the vivid and touching pictures you are portraying of your Kathmandu experience.I'm passing on your stories to friends and colleagues!
    thinking of you
    love you lots
    Jenniferxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dad - We have all really enjoyed your blogs - and feel as if we have been in Nepal with you! Do enjoy your last few days and speak to you soon! Emma & Alex are now in India - so you will now have to keep up with their blog when you get home.
    Lots of love
    Jane, Michael et al xxx

    ReplyDelete